Thursday, October 7, 2010

Saddlebag Pancakes

A Brand New Spin-a-roo on Breakfast for Dinner


Living in the Kappa Kappa Gamma house, and eating in the glorious walls of the BLUE and BLUE for 4 years, I was never less happy than when the menu read "Breakfast for Dinner". When I hear those dreaded words greasy bacon, hard biscuits and foamy eggs always came to my mind which usually sent me running for the door.... or the nearest Chick-fil-a.  However, last night I was watching my boyfriend Adam Richman on The Food Network's "Man vs. Food" and I stumbled upon this little gem.  While traveling to Boulder, Adam visited The Buff Restaurant and let America in on this mini-revelation which the owner calls "The Saddlebag" and with pancakes, bacon, sausage, and egg it is no wonder why!  I am a big fan of sleeping late, so I hardly ever eat breakfast, but I am not going to let this keep me from my quest of tasting this delicious treat.....SO IM MAKING IT FOR DINER TONIGHT!  The recipe is easy enough, all you do is make up some pancakes using whatever mix you choose and throw in some cooked sausage/bacon while the batter is on the griddle.  Also, you could go for a McGriddle-esque effect and throw in some syrup as well.  Once the pancakes are done you top them with a basted egg which you make by putting an egg in a skillet and then covering the top with a lid for a few minutes for a delicate way of cooking over easy eggs.  This will ensure that the texture of the egg is super rich and velvety and a glorious compliment to its hot date pancakes.  I will be sure to let you know how it goes, but I'll tell you this: if Kappa had done breakfast for dinner like this I would have syrup flowing through my veins as we speak! For you brave souls out there, I encourage you to give these "Saddlebags" a try and tell me whatchoo think! Have a wonderful (and delicious) day!

Update!  Okay, so basting an egg was ridiculous difficult.  Between me setting the skillet on fire and Ryan managing to calcify the poor things we called it quits and just ate the pancakes as they were... and they were AMAZING! So I would highly recommend these delicious little nuggets, and if you just can't live without the egg I'd suggest that you just cook them regular ole' over easy!
 The boys thought it was just hilarious to have my "Saddlebags" pose next to the fire extinguisher...

No comments:

Post a Comment