Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day in Houston

Memorial Day in Houston

Just got back from Houston, and let me say this, it is absolutely WONDERFUL to see old friends!  Malorie and I flew in Thursday night and that is where the shenanigans began.  However, before Malorie showed up I decided to do a little tanning, only to find out that there is no such thing as a little tanning in Texas, you are either pale or crispy and I got crispy! Here is a picture of my incredibly patriotic sunburn...


These colors don't run!
After Malorie got in, Malorie, Berk, Lauren (Berk's roomie) and I went to Little Woodrows to watch turtle racing.  For those of you that haven't experienced turtle racing let me tell you one thing, it is FAR more exciting than it sounds.  Turtle racing basically consists of a bunch of drunks betting on turtles as they race away from their starting "box" (a square platform in the middle of a circle) and out towards the finish "line" (a circle taped around the starting box).  First turtle to cross the "finish line" is the winner.  However, for a race to be complete the same turtle needs to win 3 times.  Turtles aren't usually associated with being speedy, but I was incredibly thrilled to see just how fast these little guys moved!  I had SO much fun and was really excited to experience turtle racing!


Turtle racing koozie

Ready.....Set... GO!
Me, Berk, and Malorie at turtle racing
After a full night of turtle racing, we decided to spend Friday afternoon driving around a Little Mexico-esque area of Houston while looking for the mysterious "good" knock off purse place.  Needless to say that 3 hours, a lot of sweat, and non-English shop vendors later we left empty-handed.  After our pointless voyage we went to Chuy's for lunch and it was some of THE best Mexican food I have ever had.  Chuy's is a chain, so if you are ever lucky enough to find yourself near one I highly suggest that you swing in and give their frozen sangria a try, you won't regret it! Friday night some college friends drove to Houston and we all met for dinner and some bar-hopping.  Once again, upon Mal and my request, we had Mexican.  A lot of Mexican food, I know, but good Mexican food is hard to come by in Kansas City and Milwaukee!  After dinner we found ourselves at a place called Rebel Bar and next thing I know I am on the dance floor attempting to line dance.  I looked like a damn fool, but it was too much fun!  I am beyond grateful that my guy friends know how to dance, without their guidance it would have been an awful sight and an overall offense to country line dancing!


3 years of roomie love!
Amanda, Malorie and I
Amanda, Malorie, Me, and Berk at dinner

Look who they found, Ryan!
 Friday afternoon we headed out to Reese's Uncle Jack's lake house on Lake Conroe. What a beautiful place!  The house was gorgeous and had the most amazing view of the lake, equipped with jet-skiis, a hot tub, pool and lots of crawfish!  We spent our time at the lake drinking, cooking/eating crawfish, and swimming.  Everyone got a bit too "patriotic", but hey, that's the fun of it!

Beautiful pool and view of the lake
'Merica
Poolside
Me, Berk, and Mal

Ryan and I
If you can race turtles you can race crawfish, right?
Crawfish, potatoes, sausage, mushrooms and beer! I was a happy girl!
Documenting Ryan's first crawfish!
After we got back from the lake on Sunday we went to a friends bbq and spent the day grilling and swimming, same thing goes for Monday!  I will not lie and say that this vacation was in the least bit relaxing but it sure was a lot of fun.  I am beyond happy that I got to see so many of my friends that I had not seen in a while, it was a great trip, and the fact that Ryan got to come and meet everyone made it even better!

"You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends.  So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college sure does..." -Tom Petty






No comments:

Post a Comment