Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really like Mother's Day.  Nothing against moms or celebrating them, but for me, celebrating Mother's Day without a mom makes about as much sense as a zebra wearing a dress.  It is not that I have always disliked this day, but since my mom has been gone it is a bitter reminder of what I no longer have.  To add insult to injury, as a server, I am going to spend all of Mother's Day waiting on people who are spending the day with their moms.  It sucks.  I am not a big fan of the "woe is me" mentality, but Mother's Day is an exception.  I usually spend this day surly and sobbing, not exactly traits that you want in a server. I feel that most people spend this day "celebrating" moms without really appreciating them if that makes any sense.  As though they are saying the words but not fully acknowledging how monumentally important moms are in a child's life.  So I guess that the moral of the story is this, if you have a great mom don't limit Mother's Day to one day, celebrate the awesome women in your life year round.
My favorite picture of my mom and I circa 1988, she always hated this picture but it has always been a favorite of mine

No comments:

Post a Comment