Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Favorite Quote

I recently re-discovered one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost, The Black Cottage.  This is a rather lengthy poem, but it has such a great message.  While the whole poem is wonderful, my favorite part comes towards the end.  To me the message in these few lines is so strong, so promising. It says that just because you cannot see something that does not necessarily mean that it is not real.  Shoot, all the best things in life like love, friendship, and happiness are intangible but just as real as the shoes on your feet.  The things that are meant to be will be, there is nothing that you or I can do about it. 


For, dear me, why abandon a belief
Merely because it ceases to be true.
Clint to it long enough, and not a doubt
It will turn true again, for so it goes.
 Most of the change we think we see in life
Is due to truths being in and out of favor. 


Frost March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963




No comments:

Post a Comment