Thursday, October 25, 2012

Green With Envy

Let me take a quick second to let you in on a recipe for THE most delicious salad that I have ever had.  If you find yourself putting hot sauce on nearly everything you are in good company because over the years I have come to find that hot sauce is my culinary Achilles heel. From Tabasco to jalapenos to Sriracha I do not discriminate, so when I stumbled upon this recipe in Ryan's Men's Health magazine I knew it was one I would have to try.  This recipe is incredibly easy and oh-so-satisfying, definitely allowing you to make a meal out of your salad! And now I introduce to you Asian Beef Salad with Sriracha Honey Dressing



What You Need:
  • 1 lb flank steak
  • Salt and Ppepper (to taste)
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp Sriracha (add more if you want to make it hotter, duh)
  • 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce 
  • 1 lime's worth of juice
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 1 bag watercress (if you like the peppery bite) or a bag of spring mix
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 small red onion (unless you're a freak who likes raw onion, ewww)
  • 1+ avocado, sliced (the more the merrier in my book)      
  • 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
  • handful of fresh cilantro  
    What You Do:
    1.
    Sear the steak: Preheat a grill, grill pan, or cast-iron skillet on medium high. Season the steak with salt and pepper and cook it to medium rare, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes and then slice it thinly across the grain.
    2.
    Make the dressing: While the meat rests, combine the honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, and lime juice with a pinch of pepper in a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil.
    3.
    Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss the steak slices with the vegetables and cilantro. Drizzle in the dressing and toss until the salad is lightly coated.
    *As with any recipe, feel free to alter quantities to taste. For instance, with the Sriracha I put in a TON more than 1 tsp and about 1 tbsp soy sauce opposed to the recommended 1/2 tbsp. It is your salad, so go on ahead and do whatever you darn well please!* 
    ENJOY! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment